In my home, my hubby is the one who does most of the grilling. Yes, like most men I know he enjoys grillin’. But there’s another reason—I nearly burnt down our house six years ago when I was on “grill” duty, and since then, he insists on being the one who mans the grill in our house.
Can I use the excuse that I was pregnant with my son at the time and my brain was a bit foggy? Or that I was enthralled by a conversation with my dear grandma, who was visiting from Florida? (Okay, those excuses didn’t work with my hubby. :0)
As part of my usual routine, I fired up the grill and returned to the kitchen to finish preparing the food for the grill. My grandma had just arrived from Florida, and in our excitement of being together, we chatted away about this and that for some time. It wasn’t until I made my way out to the grill that I noticed flames spewing from it.
Now, in my hubby’s wisdom, he’d placed a fire extinguisher near the grill. I reached for it, but I had no idea how to use. I fumbled with it, searching for some sort of instructions on how the use it. (Okay, I now know that when flames are engulfing your grill, that isn’t the best time to teach yourself how to use a fire extinguisher. :0)
In that moment, my hubby returned from a walk with our dog, saw the flames shooting this way and that from our grill, and spouted out a few choice words as he scrambled toward our deck to tend to the inferno in our grill. He plucked the extinguisher from my grip, pulled a pin (oh, pull the pin, that’s all I needed to do…), and squeezed the trigger on the red bottle. White foam covered the grill and snuffed out the fire. Whew! That was a close one.
My hubby revoked my grillin’ rights for a few years after that incident. It hasn’t been until recently that he’s allowed me to use the grill, and even then, I can see the panic on his face as I venture near it.
This last week I fired up the grill before my hubby arrived home from work (the best time to do it, for the sake of his nerves and mine :0) and grilled up some of the best turkey burgers I’ve ever had ~ Gobble ‘Em Up Turkey Burgers. I mixed and matched ingredients from some burger recipes I found online and in magazines to create these juicy and flavorful burgers. Oh, these turkey burgers will rival any beef burger!
When my hubby took a bite into this burger, he nodded as he said, “I don’t want to eat beef burgers ever again.” What beautiful words to hear! Try these burgers. Your family and friends will gobble ’em up!!
Gobble ‘Em Up Turkey Burgers
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion (about 1 bunch of onions)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1½ TBSP fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 TBSP onion soup mix (about ½ packet)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 20 oz. lean ground turkey (93% lean)
- ½ cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 5 hamburger buns
- Quick Honey Mustard Sauce (if desired): Blend 4 TBSP grainy mustard with 3 TBSP honey.
- Other desired condiments (e.g., tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, onions, etc.)
(1) In a large bowl, whisk together egg, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Add green onions, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, onion soup mix, garlic powder, and pepper; blend well. Mix in ground turkey.
(2) Shaped turkey mixture into 5 thick burgers. With thumb, indent each burger in the middle. Grill burgers for about 15 minutes, or until cooked completely through, only turning them once. Top each burger with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and cook on grill just until cheese is melted.