When I think of cabbage, I often wrinkle my nose as I remember the time back in my early twenties when I tried the “Cabbage Soup Diet.” Do you remember that one? You made up a big batch of cabbage soup, and for seven days your diet mostly consisted of eating bowl after bowl of the soup with hopes of losing several pounds. I could only tolerate a few bowls of the soup before I gave up on the diet and poured the rest of the soup down the drain.
For some time after trying that diet, I steered clear of cabbage. That is, until my dear friend Jen introduced me to her delicious and healthy cabbage salad. Jen and I worked together for ten years, and her cabbage salad was always a hit at office potlucks. I made this salad recently for a family get together, and it was just as yummy as I remembered it.
Let me quickly share a few notes about this salad. First, you’ll want to make up the dressing at least of couple of hours in advance of serving the salad so that the flavors can meld together. As you’ll see in the recipe below, the dressing includes Vege-Sal Magic’s Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning. Now I normally don’t like to include brand name products in my recipes since they may not be available to all my readers. But for this recipe, I couldn’t avoid it since this is one the key ingredients that makes this recipe outstanding. I found the seasoning at my local Kroger grocery store in the spices section, so I’m guessing it should be fairly easy to find.
Also, you have the options of making the salad with a head of green or red cabbage, or a combination of both, which is what I prefer because it adds color and variety to salad. Add some tomatoes, green onions, avocados and any other vegetables you desire. Top with the special balsamic dressing, and you’ll have a salad that will WOW your family and friends! :0)
Avocado Tomato Cabbage Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Vege-Sal Magic’s Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning
- 1 head of green or red cabbage, cored and shredded*
- 18-20 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 bunch of green onions, white parts thinly sliced
*If desired, you can used ½ head of green cabbage and ½ head of red cabbage.
(1) Pour balsamic vinegar into a medium-sized bowl. Slowly add olive oil to vinegar, whisking constantly. To season the vinaigrette, add 1 teaspoon of Vege-Sal Magic Spike seasoning for starters and mix well. Taste test the vinaigrette, and if needed, add small amounts of seasoning at a time until vinaigrette is seasoned to your liking.
(2) In a large bowl, add cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and green onions. Drizzle with desired amount of balsamic vinaigrette. (You may not use the entire recipe of vinaigrette, but you can save what’s left over for either another cabbage salad or for other green salads). Makes 6 to 8 servings.